Women in Health and Safety is a thriving network of people who support gender equality and want to see women flourish in the health & safety profession. Set up by SHP in 2015, it’s a hub of events, content and networking opportunities. Our get-togethers and resources are always completely free and open to all, and both men and women are actively encouraged to join us.
- 2015 – Set up by SHP as a series of events and articles.
- 2017 – An independent committee was set up to help run and expand the network.
- 2020 – Our LinkedIn group reached 2,500 members.
- 2021 – Committee expanded and split into workstreams, to enable us to do more.
- 5,000+ people have attended one of our events, which take place all over the UK and online.
- As well as events, committee workstreams now cover: mentoring programmes; getting young people into the profession; and amplifying women’s voices.
- Safety & Health Expo hosts our biggest annual celebration.
- HSE, NEBOSH, Mace, HSE Recruitment, HSW Consultants, Shirley Parsons, Acre, Hays and Redcat have all hosted events.
- A new mailing list has been created to help share the message of the group and to promote upcoming events.
- A Global Coalition of Women in Safety and Health has been founded to forge links between the various networks around the globe, including Women in Health and Safety.
- December 7, 11:00 BST, London. Hidden Disabilities with Nichola Ebbern. Register here.
SHP has carried out a series of interviews with the aim of amplifying the voices of women in the profession. Some of the topics covered affect women more than men. Some are deeply personal. It’s our belief that we bring our whole selves to work and therefore should be able to talk about all sorts of issues that affect us, day-to-day, in a work setting.
- Imposter syndrome: 4 health & safety professionals on how it’s affected them
- Invisible disabilities in the workplace
- ‘Miscarriage should not be a taboo subject’ – a personal account of recurrent miscarriage
- My breast cancer story and the amazing support I had from work
- My experience of workplace stress, in an organisation that didn’t see occupational stress as an issue
- Depression, burnout and how to talk about mental health at work
- What I’ve learned from supporting colleagues with cancer and their caregivers
- Breast cancer – My story and advice for supporting colleagues
- Coaching and leadership: How to develop non-technical skills and overcoming a lack of confidence
- Baby loss awareness: Advice for employers on supporting colleagues following miscarriage
- Menopause: Health & safety professionals on how it affects them and how employers can provide support
Events have taken place all over the country, in cities including Norwich, London, Birmingham, Leicester, Liverpool, Leeds, Edinburgh and Glasgow. Take a look at highlights videos and photos of some of our events below. For more past events highlights see the posts below:
- The benefits of networking and mentoring – 2021
- Panel debate on ‘A gendered approach to mental health’ – 2021
- Building Safety Bill and the Role of Fire Engineers in Fire and Building Safety – 2021
- Opportunities with IOSH, with Louise Hosking, IOSH President-elect (watch, on-demand, here) – 2021
- Exploring the mutual benefits of mentoring and how the newest technology can help build your connections (watch, on-demand, here) – 2021
- Menopause and Perimenopause (watch, on-demand, here) – 2021
- Employers and domestic abuse – 2021
- Mentoring network ‘virtual coffee catch-ups’ – 2020
- Driving for work – What’s the risk? A joint ScORSA, RoSPA AEF, Women in Safety and Health event – 2019
- Women in Health & Safety Christmas Quiz, London. Sponsored by Barbour EHS – 2019
- The fascinating history of London Dock, hosted by St George – 2019
- Health and safety incident management and sentencing guidelines, hosted by Kennedys – 2019
- Sex, Sticks, Shooters and Stress: How gender influences physical, chemical and psychosocial safety – 2019
- The challenges facing design construction and operation of modern railway – 2019
- Flagship Women in Health and Safety events at Safety & Health Expo in the ExCel, London – 2019
- A mock interview ‘5 minutes in the hot seat’, hosted by Russell Cooke – 2019
- The significance of health & safety being embedded into the fabric of the organisation, hosted by Canary Wharf Group – 2019
- HS2 Birmingham breakfast and networking event – 2019
- Changing young minds to construction, hosted by St George and The Berkley Group plc – 2019
- 4th annual London Women in Health and Safety Christmas party, hosted by Acre and SHP – 2018
- The inaugural Birmingham Christmas party, supported by HSE Recruitment and Gateway HSW Consultants – 2018
- Inclusion at work lunch event, by Mace and supported by Pinsent Masons – 2018
- IRATA rope access day, by Churchill Services – 2018
- Wellbeing in construction, in collaboration with the Women in Construction network – 2018
- Presenting with confidence and impact workshop, by TEDx Director, Maryam Pasha at Safety & Health Expo – 2018
- Speed mentoring, at Safety & Health Expo – 2018
- Pregnant Then Screwed: how 54,000 women are forced out of work each year – 2018
- Mace’s Judith Grant inspires Women in Health and Safety network to make wellbeing second nature – 2017
- Speed-mentoring and improving self-confidence – Women in Health and Safety Christmas party 2017
- “Dig your heels in” – key advice from Women in Health and Safety, Leeds – 2016
- Anything but boring – Women in Health and Safety at Crossrail – 2016
- Upskilling into senior leadership – Women in Health and Safety at NEBOSH – 2016
- Causing a revolution – Women in Health and Safety Christmas party – 2015
- Karen McDonnell hosts first Women in Health and Safety regional event – 2015
- First UK Women in Health and Safety Forum takes place – 2015