Women in Health and Safety is a thriving network of people who support gender equality and want to see women flourish in the health & safety profession. Set up by SHP in 2015, it’s a hub of events, content and networking opportunities. Our get-togethers and resources are always completely free and open to all, and both men and women are actively encouraged to join us.
- 2015 – Set up by SHP as a series of events and articles.
- 2017 – An independent committee was set up to help run and expand the network.
- 2020 – Our LinkedIn group reached 2,500 members.
- 2021 – Committee expanded and split into workstreams, to enable us to do more.
- 5,000+ people have attended one of our events, which take place all over the UK and online.
- As well as events, committee workstreams now cover: mentoring programmes; getting young people into the profession; and amplifying womens’ voices.
- Safety & Health Expo hosts our biggest annual celebration.
- HSE, NEBOSH, Mace, HSE Recruitment, HSW Consultants, Shirley Parsons, Acre, Hays and Redcat have all hosted events.
- A new mailing list has been created to help share the message of the group and to promote upcoming events.
- A Global Coalition of Women in Safety and Health has been founded to forge links between the various networks around the globe, including Women in Health and Safety.
- May 21, 10:30 GMT. Menopause and perimenopause webinar. Register here.
- May 28, 12:30 GMT. Are you ready for CFIOSH? Register here.
Events have taken place all over the country, in cities including Norwich, London, Birmingham, Leicester, Liverpool, Leeds, Edinburgh and Glasgow. Take a look at highlights videos and photos of some of our events below. For more past events highlights see the posts below:
- Employers and domestic abuse – 2021
- Mentoring network ‘virtual coffee catch-ups’ – 2020
- Driving for work – What’s the risk? A joint ScORSA, RoSPA AEF, Women in Safety and Health event – 2019
- Women in Health & Safety Christmas Quiz, London. Sponsored by Barbour EHS – 2019
- The fascinating history of London Dock, hosted by St George – 2019
- Health and safety incident management and sentencing guidelines, hosted by Kennedys – 2019
- Sex, Sticks, Shooters and Stress: How gender influences physical, chemical and psychosocial safety – 2019
- The challenges facing design construction and operation of modern railway – 2019
- Flagship Women in Health and Safety events at Safety & Health Expo in the ExCel, London – 2019
- A mock interview ‘5 minutes in the hot seat’, hosted by Russell Cooke – 2019
- The significance of health & safety being embedded into the fabric of the organisation, hosted by Canary Wharf Group – 2019
- HS2 Birmingham breakfast and networking event – 2019
- Changing young minds to construction, hosted by St George and The Berkley Group plc – 2019
- 4th annual London Women in Health and Safety Christmas party, hosted by Acre and SHP – 2018
- The inaugural Birmingham Christmas party, supported by HSE Recruitment and Gateway HSW Consultants – 2018
- Inclusion at work lunch event, by Mace and supported by Pinsent Masons – 2018
- IRATA rope access day, by Churchill Services – 2018
- Wellbeing in construction, in collaboration with the Women in Construction network – 2018
- Presenting with confidence and impact workshop, by TEDx Director, Maryam Pasha at Safety & Health Expo – 2018
- Speed mentoring, at Safety & Health Expo – 2018
- Pregnant Then Screwed: how 54,000 women are forced out of work each year – 2018
- Mace’s Judith Grant inspires Women in Health and Safety network to make wellbeing second nature – 2017
- Speed-mentoring and improving self-confidence – Women in Health and Safety Christmas party 2017
- “Dig your heels in” – key advice from Women in Health and Safety, Leeds – 2016
- Anything but boring – Women in Health and Safety at Crossrail – 2016
- Upskilling into senior leadership – Women in Health and Safety at NEBOSH – 2016
- Causing a revolution – Women in Health and Safety Christmas party – 2015
- Karen McDonnell hosts first Women in Health and Safety regional event – 2015
- First UK Women in Health and Safety Forum takes place – 2015