NEBOSH (National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health) is a charitable organisation, which offers a comprehensive range of globally-recognised qualifications designed to meet the health, safety and environmental management needs of all places of work.
NEBOSH qualifications are recognised by people and organisations across the world, they are relevant to all kinds of situations and workplaces and they are respected by industry experts.
After more than 40 years in the industry, NEBOSH has awarded over 400,000 qualifications, in over 130 countries, through its network of over 600 accredited Learning Partners.
What does NEBOSH stand for?
NEBOSH stands for ‘The National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health’.
In 2014, it was awarded Britain’s highest accolade for trade success, the Queen’s Award for Enterprise, for “outstanding achievement” in International Trade.
NEBOSH qualifications are recognised by the relevant professional membership bodies including the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) and International Institute of Risk & Safety Management (IIRSM).
All NEBOSH examinations and assessments are set by its professionally qualified staff assisted by external examiners; most of whom are Chartered Safety and Health Practitioners or Chartered Environmentalists operating within industry, the public sector or in enforcement.
In addition, NEBOSH has achieved ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001:2015 and ISO 45001:2018 certification from the British Standards Institution (BSI).
This video sees NEBOSH graduates talk about the workplace benefits of having a NEBOSH qualification:
NEBOSH offers three core categories of qualifications – Award, Certificate and Diploma – which are taken by more than 35,000 people every year.
In addition, it also offers a range of Masters degrees, through a partnership with the University of Hull.
Several of NEBOSH’s qualifications have been developed in partnership with Great Britain’s Health and Safety Regulator, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
NEBOSH’s Award-level qualifications provide a basic understanding of health and safety and environmental principles and practice and provide a perfect introduction to other NEBOSH qualifications. The awards currently available are:
- NEBOSH Health and Safety at Work Qualification
- NEBOSH Environmental Awareness at Work Qualification
- NEBOSH Health, Safety and Environment in the Process Industries Qualification
- NEBOSH HSE Introduction to Incident Investigation
- NEBOSH HSE Award in Managing Risks and Assessment at Work
- NEBOSH Working with Wellbeing
As well as in English, the NEBOSH Health and Safety at Work Qualification can be taken in five other languages, French, Spanish, Arabic, Mandarin Chinese and Russian.
In September 2019, NEBOSH unveiled its new-look General Certificate. The NEBOSH National and International General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety were updated, after input from 3,000 of the sector’s leading experts and organisations.
Taking on board the comments from businesses and managers, NEBOSH said that the refresh means the qualifications now better reflect the needs of today’s workplaces, with a greater emphasis on risk management. Around 300,000 people worldwide hold a NEBOSH General Certificate, which is recognised by many high-profile organisations including Maersk, The Football Association, Thames Water, Shell, Skanska, Nestle and the Dubai World Trade Centre.
In this video, Karl Simons of Thames Water discusses how the NEBOSH General Certificate has helped the organisation upskill their workforce.
The assessment has also been updated. Learners will undertake a single question paper to assess what they know whilst a practical risk assessment will assess what they can do. This holistic approach will ensure successful learners return to work and instantly add value to their employers and colleagues.
NEBOSH’s Certificate-level qualifications give a good foundation in health and safety for managers, supervisors and staff with health and safety among their day to day responsibilities.
These qualifications are widely taken as a first step towards a career in health and safety and are accepted by IOSH – the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health – in meeting the academic requirements for Technical Membership of IOSH (Tech IOSH).
For those seeking a long-term career in occupational health and safety, Certificate level qualifications offer a progression route towards NEBOSH professional level Diplomas.
The NEBOSH Certificate-level qualifications currently available are:
- NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
- NEBOSH International General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
- NEBOSH National Certificate in Fire Safety and Risk Management
- NEBOSH International Certificate in Fire Safety and Risk Management
- NEBOSH Health and Safety Management for Construction (UK)
- NEBOSH Health and Safety Management for Construction (International)
- NEBOSH HSE Certificate in Process Safety Management
- NEBOSH HSE Certificate in Health and Safety Leadership Excellence
- NEBOSH International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety
- NEBOSH Certificate in Environmental Management
- NEBOSH Certificate in Fire Safety
NEBOSH Diplomas are globally recognised qualifications aimed at professional health and safety advisors and environmental practitioners.
Previous experience of health and safety is strongly recommended and entry requirements may be set by course providers.
Completion of a NEBOSH Diploma provides an excellent foundation for further study. Diplomates are invited to the NEBOSH Graduation Ceremony. Family and friends are also able to attend to enjoy and celebrate your achievement.
All NEBOSH Diploma holders are invited to join the NEBOSH Alumni. Here, they can access exclusive events and networking opportunities and resources to support continued professional development.
Four diplomas are currently available:
- National Diploma for Occupational Health and Safety Management Professionals;
- International Diploma for Occupational Health and Safety Management Professionals;
- NEBOSH International Diploma in Environmental Management;
- NEBOSH Diploma in Environmental Management.
The University of Hull in partnership with NEBOSH are offering Masters Degrees by distance learning in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management subjects.
Six different NEBOSH Masters are available:
- MSc in Occupational Health and Safety Management;
- MSc in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management;
- MSc in Environmental Management;
- MRes in Occupational Health and Safety Management;
- MRes in Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management;
- MRes in Environmental Management.
These qualifications are open to holders of a NEBOSH Diploma who wish to further their learning in Health and Safety and/or Environmental Management. They have been designed with an emphasis on flexibility for those people in full time work looking to complement their previous NEBOSH Diploma studies.
Delivered through distance learning, these qualifications are ideal for both national and international candidates wishing to gain a Masters level qualification focussed on workplace-based research.
Health and safety jobs
NEBOSH supports the health and safety jobs site, SHP4Jobs
For more information about NEBOSH and its qualifications, visit www.nebosh.org.uk/qualifications