Informa Markets

Author Bio ▼

Safety and Health Practitioner (SHP) is first for independent health and safety news.
April 19, 2024

Get the SHP newsletter

Daily health and safety news, job alerts and resources

Company fined £360k after trapped worker loses life

A manufacturing company in Hull has been fined after one of its employees was crushed to death at a factory.

Martyn Green died from crush injuries after becoming trapped between the crane he was operating and a roof truss at Niche Fused Magnesia Limited’s Hull Road site on 22 August 2018.

The 55-year-old had been testing the overhead gantry crane as part of its maintenance. Martyn, from Hull, was stood on the crane access platform and operating it using a hand-held remote control. The overhead gantry crane had been repaired following mechanical problems and required functional testing to ensure the repairs had been effective.

During testing, the crane passed in close proximity to a series of horizontal roof trusses, resulting in Martyn becoming trapped between one of the trusses and the crane.

Avoidable with “practicable safeguards”

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Niche Fused Magnesia Limited, a manufacturer of magnesium oxide, had failed to adequately assess the risks from roof trusses to workers standing on the crane access platform while it was being operated. The company failed to ensure the work was carried in a manner that was safe.

George Green, Martyn’s son, said in his victim personal statement: “My dad was my best friend, someone to guide me through life. If I had any issues, I would go to him for advice. I have lost that.

“Some days I lay there at night and think about my dad, my heart will drop when I think about how he died. Was he screaming for help when it happened? My heart drops and I worry that he was alone at the time of the incident, and I do lose sleep over it.”

Niche Fused Magnesia Limited pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. The company was fined £366,500 and ordered to pay £7,325.82 in costs at Hull Magistrates’ Court on 8 March 2024.

HSE Inspector John Boyle said: “This tragic incident could have been avoided had the company assessed the risks and implemented reasonably practicable safeguards.

“Companies should be aware that HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.”

The Safety Conversation Podcast: Listen now!

The Safety Conversation with SHP (previously the Safety and Health Podcast) aims to bring you the latest news, insights and legislation updates in the form of interviews, discussions and panel debates from leading figures within the profession.

Find us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Google Podcasts, subscribe and join the conversation today!

Related Topics

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments