SHP Online is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.
A manufacturer of swimming pool covers has been fined after a worker suffered a degloving injury when his hand got caught between two power driven rollers of an extruder machine.
On 21 February 2018, an employee at Plastipack Limited was injured at the company site in St Leonards-on-Sea, when his hand got caught between two power driven rollers of an extruder machine while performing a manual intervention on the machine.
The HSE’s investigation found that the company had, between 1 July 2012 and 21 February 2018, failed to ensure that the in-running nip point between the rollers of the machine was adequately guarded to prevent access.
Plastipack Limited of Wainwright House, Wainwright Close, St Leonards-on-Sea pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 11(1) of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 and was fined £30,000 with costs of £5,842.30.
Speaking after the case HSE Inspector Susie Beckett said: “This injury was easily preventable, and the risk should have been identified. Employers should make sure they properly assess and apply effective control measures to minimise the risk from dangerous parts of machinery.”
Exclusive interviews, the very latest news and reports from the health and safety frontline and in-depth examinations of the biggest issues facing the profession today. You'll find all that and more in the Safety & Health Podcast from SHP.
Find us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Google Podcasts, subscribe and join the conversation today.
Fine after firm breaches equipment regulationsA manufacturer of swimming pool covers has been fined after a worker suffered a degloving injury when his hand got caught between two power driven rollers of an extruder machine.
SHP - Health and Safety News, Legislation, PPE, CPD and Resources
Building contractor and clients fined after ‘cutting costs’ which ‘put people at risk’
Employee who suffered hearing loss from faulty alarm awarded over £240,000