Health & Safety In Court

Latest court stories, prosecutions, fines and other penalties


Confined space failures led to fitter suffering fatal burns

Yorkshire Water Services Ltd has been sentenced after a fitter suffered fatal burns when his clothing was ignited by sparks. HSE found that the company’s risk assessment and permit to work procedures had been inadequate and there were no site-specific procedures in place. Read More

£1.4m fine for two construction firms after safety failure leads to toe amputation for worker

Two firms were upgrading water treatment works when a worker’s foot became trapped in a large rotating screw. He needed to have three toes amputated as a result. Read More

Manufacturing safety: Atomic weapons manufacturer in court over worker burns

The organisation which manufactures and maintains the UK's nuclear weapons has admitted failing to ensure the safety of its staff, a court has been told. Read More

Worker fractured spine in roof fall on construction site

Employee was removing roof sheets from a timber frame farm building when he fell approximately four metres through one of the asbestos cement roof sheets onto the ground below. Read More

£1.2m fine after Tuffnells Parcels Express worker is crushed in ‘wholly avoidable incident’

A logistics company has been fined after a worker died when he was trapped between a trailer and his vehicle. Read More

Another insurance breach leads to fine

The HSE has reported on the second breach of employers’ liability insurance in as many days, detailing the case of a car wash company which has been fined after failing to produce a certificate. Read More

Firm fined after breaching insurance laws

HSE hearing said: “Employers carrying out a business in the United Kingdom must have Employers’ liability insurance in place. Should an incident have occurred at the premises the failure to have insurance would mean that employees may not get any compensation for any injuries or ill-health attributable to their work.” Read More

Kitchen accident: Michelin-starred restaurant The Cross fined after chef slips into deep-fat fryer

Apprentice chef stepped in to 180°C oil and scalded his foot, leading to a £25,000 fine for The Cross, a Michelin-starred restaurant in Kenilworth. The 18-year-old chef had reportedly been told to clean an extractor fan when his foot slipped into the fryer. Read More

Fire safety: Tenants’ lives put at ‘serious risk’ by landlord

Officers from Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service found a number of serious issues when they entered the property in Reading, which was being occupied as a house of multiple occupation (HMO). Read More

Tata Steel UK safety breaches: £450k fine after worker falls

HSE investigation found that a risk assessment had been completed by Tata Steel UK Limited 16 months before the incident, which had identified the need to provide a barrier round the pit. A barrier was not provided until after the incident occurred. Read More



SHP Directory

+ View Directory