Asbestos disturbed in restaurant
A restaurant owner has been fined after asbestos was disturbed during the conversion of rooms above the restaurant into flats.
During September 2016, above the Marco Polo restaurant on Lower Southend Road, Wickford, Essex, asbestos insulation board was removed and broken up which resulted in workers being exposed to asbestos fibres. An asbestos survey was only carried out after the asbestos had been disturbed.
The HSE’s investigation found that a management asbestos survey and a refurbishment and demolition asbestos survey had not been completed prior to the work starting, and the work had not been completed by a licenced asbestos contractor.
Faruk Kamali of Lower Southend Road, Wickford, Essex pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 4(3) of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 and was fined £3,000 and ordered to pay full costs of £6,293.
After the hearing HSE inspector David King said: “Those in control of works have a responsibility to manage the risks from asbestos in non-domestic premises. To achieve this the dutyholder must ensure that a suitable and sufficient assessment is carried out as to whether asbestos is or is liable to be present in the premises.”
Upcoming webinar: Mental health & wellbeing in the workplace
Monday 29th July - 11:00-12:00 - Register now
Where is the workplace mental health agenda headed - and how can a nutritional diet at work improve productivity? Register now for SHP's upcoming webinar to find out.
Join Karl Simons, Chief Health, Safety & Security Officer, Thames Water; Kendelle Tekstar, Senior Product Manager, Acre Frameworks; and Catherine Attfield, Head of Nutrition and Wellbeing at Artizian. You'll hear everything from the law around mental health in the workplace and how to spot wellbeing talent, to practical tips for improving culture and reducing stigma you can apply to your own organisation.