gas


Company fined £700,000 after worker killed

Chesterfield Special Cylinders Ltd has been fined £700,000 for safety breaches after a 64-year-old worker was fatally wounded by shrapnel ejected from testing equipment. Read More

Monitoring and measuring radon exposure in the workplace

David Gilmour, Business Manager for the Environment and Safety team at SOCOTEC, explains the importance of radon exposure in the workplace, and takes us through the process of monitoring and assessing levels and their impact on staff and visitors. Read More

Gas work ‘negligence’ leads to fines

A building company and its director have been fined for unsafe construction work around a domestic gas boiler which resulted in a gas escape. Read More

Plumber’s disregard for law lands him in court

An Essex-based plumber who carried out unsafe and unregistered gas work in September 2016 has been sentenced. Read More

Contractor sentenced after illegal gas work left in dangerous state

A self-employed drainage contractor has been sentenced after conducting gas work he was not registered or competent to do and leaving it in a dangerous condition. Read More

Council warns takeaways are failing gas safety checks

Recent inspections carried out by environmental health officers found many restaurants and takeaways are breaking the law by getting domestic safety certificates instead. Read More

Workers at risk from strikes to the UK’s utility infrastructure

The unintentional striking of underground assets, such as cables and pipelines, can cause life-changing injuries to construction workers. Therefore, asset owners and local authorities have a duty of care to better protect those working on the frontline, as well as the general public. Read More

Fireplace fitters sentenced for unregistered gas work

The HSE’s investigation found that substandard – and in some cases dangerous – gas work was undertaken at the properties. Read More

Unregistered gas engineer sentenced after deliberate deception

A former gas engineer has been sentenced after conducting gas work he was no longer registered or competent to do and leaving it in a dangerous condition. Read More

Fines for Southern Gas and a construction firm after gas leak

A major UK gas distribution company and a Kent based construction company have been fined after a gas main ignited whilst it was being repaired. Read More



Sign up to free email newsletters

Job Search

Search for health and safety jobs

Product and Services Search

Search for health and safety product and service suppliers

Downloads

A guide to COSHH management

Benchmarking contractor management

A guide to vulnerable workers

COVID-19 construction site risk assessment template

How to reduce noise in the workplace