HSE: M&D theme park investigation update
The Health and Safety Executive has issued a statement following a rollercoaster crash at M&D’s theme park, on the Motherwell side of Strathclyde Park, in North Lanarkshire in June, which left nine people injured. The statement reads:
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is currently investigating the crash of the Tsunami ride at M&D Theme Park on Sunday 26 June 2016 and will continue to work closely with Police Scotland and the Crown Office while the cause of the incident is established.
As part of the ongoing investigation, HSE has taken enforcement action against an independent fairground ride inspector. They have been served with a prohibition notice, which prevents them from undertaking any inspection of fairground rides until the condition of the prohibition notice is fulfilled.
HSE is working with industry bodies to ensure all fairground owners are aware of the prohibition notice. Ride owners directly affected by this individual’s work are being contacted through industry bodies to ensure they are able take any appropriate action that is necessary.
We are working with the Amusement Devices Safety Council (ADSC) to ensure that public safety at fairgrounds remains a priority’. The ADSC comprises representatives from the;
- Showmens’ Guild Great Britain (SGGB)
- British Association Leisure Parks, Piers and Attractions (BALPPA)
- Society of Independent Roundabout Proprietors (SIRPS)
- Association of Independent Showmen (AIS)
- The British Amusement Catering Trade Association (BACTA)
- The Amusement Catering Equipment Society (ACES)
- The Amusement and Leisure Equipment Suppliers of the UK (ALES)
- National Association for Leisure Industry Certification (NAFLIC)
Discover media and sponsorship opportunities
Get your hands on the all-new SHP media pack to discover the exciting opportunities available to you, from sponsorship and contributing articles, webinars and white papers, to advertising to over 700,000 annual visitors.
Find the solution that meets your brand's needs today, and download for free.