Informa Markets

Author Bio ▼

Safety and Health Practitioner (SHP) is first for independent health and safety news.
August 11, 2016

Get the SHP newsletter

Daily health and safety news, job alerts and resources

HSE investigating after man dies in nightclub fire

The HSE has begun a joint investigation with police after a man died in hospital earlier this week from burns injuries after a fire at a nightclub in south-east London.

The fire broke out at Studio 338 on Boord Street, Greenwich, at about midday on Monday and spread to a nearby industrial warehouse and a scrap paper processing yard containing a number of outbuildings. More than 100 firefighters tackled the blaze.

The man, 28, has not been formally identified but has been named by the nightclub as an employee called Tomas. He was airlifted to an east London hospital but died on Tuesday.

A statement from the club said: “Tomas fought for as long as he could given the extent of his injuries. He was as strong as an ox but it was too much even for him.

“He was so pure and beautiful, an inspiration to us all: always positive, never complaining, working through the night to make sure the parties were the best they could be for you and us.

“We are all so devastated to lose him like this. Everything we do from now on is for you, our brother.”

Fourteen men were initially arrested on suspicion of arson but were released without charge.

Group Manager Mark Hazelton, London Fire Brigade, said: “Our thoughts are with the friends and family of the man who sadly lost his life following this incident.

“This was a large, rapidly developing fire which presented serious challenges for our crews involving cylinders and unseen fire spread. The nightclub was also declared unsafe for our firefighters to enter so they had to fight the fire from outside the building. It was a protracted incident and our crews worked incredibly hard over a long period of time to bring it to a close.”


Related Topics

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments