Informa Markets

Author Bio ▼

Safety and Health Practitioner (SHP) is first for independent health and safety news.
February 20, 2017

Get the SHP newsletter

Daily health and safety news, job alerts and resources

Go Ahead London fined after worker’s death

Bus company Go Ahead London has been sentenced after worker was killed when he fell from a ladder.

Southwark Crown Court heard that on 26 May 2011 the worker was using a ladder to access the top of a fuel tank when he fell two and a half meters backwards, suffering fatal head injuries.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the company did not implement and keep to their own procedures for managing contractors. As a result they failed to manage their contractors effectively and ensure that they conduct work in a safe manner.

Go Ahead London of Grey Street, Newcastle Upon Tyne was found guilty of section 3 (1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and have been fined £600,000 and ordered to pay costs of £78,531.

Speaking after the hearing HSE inspector Neil Fry said: “This is a tragic case which could have been entirely preventable; if the company had managed their contractors effectively then the worker would have returned home safely from work.”

The Safety Conversation Podcast: Listen now!

The Safety Conversation with SHP (previously the Safety and Health Podcast) aims to bring you the latest news, insights and legislation updates in the form of interviews, discussions and panel debates from leading figures within the profession.

Find us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Google Podcasts, subscribe and join the conversation today!

Related Topics

Notify of

Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Bob Mayley
Bob Mayley
7 years ago

When was this case heard in court? The article states 26th May 2011 – but the verdict is only now announced. What else was going on in this case?

Lauren Applebey
Lauren Applebey
7 years ago
Reply to  Bob Mayley

The case was concluded at Southwark Crown Court on 14 February. SHP will contact the HSE for further information.

Ray Rapp
Ray Rapp
7 years ago

As I read the article the incident took place on 26 May 2011. There is no date when the case was heard in court.