£1.75 million fine for ScottishPower after worker injured
Global energy company, ScottishPower has been fined £1.75 million after a worker was seriously scalded at a power station in Scotland.
The worker, a plant controller working for ScottishPower Regeneration Limited, was injured when he opened a faulty valve, which emitted high pressure, high temperature steam, a court in Dunfermline Sheriff Court heard.
The employee was working at Longannet Power Station in Alloa, in the Central Lowlands of Scotland, when the incident happened on 12 October 2013 and he sustained serious burns to his chest and legs.
An investigation by HSE found that ScottishPower were aware of the defect but did not take appropriate steps to either repair or remove the valve from use.
After the hearing, principal inspector for the HSE Fiona MacNeill said: “The plant controller suffered severe and life changing injuries. This case has highlighted the importance for every employer of ensuring that systems are in place for maintaining work equipment in a safe condition, efficient working order and in good repair”
ScottishPower Generation Limited, of, Atlantic Quay, Robertson Street, Glasgow pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined £1.75 million.
Safety & Health Podcast: Listen now
Exclusive interviews, the very latest news and reports from the health and safety frontline and in-depth examinations of the biggest issues facing the profession today. You'll find all that and more in the Safety & Health Podcast from SHP.
Find us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Google Podcasts, subscribe and join the conversation today.