Egg packer fell through hole in barn floor
An egg supplier failed to take any steps to prevent workers from falling through an opening in the floor of a poultry barn in Shropshire.
A 43-year-old worker was working at Staveley’s Eggs Ltd’s facility in Stoke-on-Tern, when the incident took place on 26 July 2011. The company was undertaking a refurbishment project to replace floors in its poultry barns with metal gratings, but it failed to created a written method of work.
On the day of the incident, a section of flooring had been removed behind a door on the first floor, which connected two barns. There were no warning signs or edge protection around the hole in the floor, and staff were unaware that part of the floor was missing.€
The Safety Conversation Podcast: Listen now!
The Safety Conversation with SHP (previously the Safety and Health Podcast) aims to bring you the latest news, insights and legislation updates in the form of interviews, discussions and panel debates from leading figures within the profession.
Find us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Google Podcasts, subscribe and join the conversation today!