Editor, UBM

September 16, 2016

Get the SHP newsletter

Daily health and safety news, job alerts and resources

Unregistered gas fitter sentenced for illegal work

An unregistered gas fitter has been sentenced after illegally installing a LPG gas boiler and hob at a home in Newquay.

Dean Marshall, 47, Dukes Way, Newquay, installed the boiler and job at a property several years after his registration with Gas Safe Register had lapsed, meaning he wasn’t permitted to carry out gas work.

In addition, his previous registration with the Gas Safe Register did not cover any work on any LPG gas appliances as he hadn’t completed the proper training for this work.

Despite this, Mr Marshall continued to use the Gas Safe Register logo on his paperwork.

Truro Crown Court heard yesterday, 15 September, that Mr Marshall’s illegal gaswork came to light when the homeowner, who had been repeatedly asking for the commission documentation for the new boiler, noticed that Dean Marshall had used another name and registration number on the commissioning certificate.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Dean Marshall had fraudulently used a Gas Safe registered engineers details to deceive the homeowners.

Mr Marshall pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 3(3), 3(7), and 33(2) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and was sentenced to undertake 250 hours unpaid work for each offence to run concurrently and ordered to pay £4,966.42 in costs.

HSE inspector Simon Jones, speaking after the hearing, said: “Only engineers registered with Gas Safe can legally carry out gas work.

“Mr Marshall undertook gaswork which he knew he shouldn’t do. He compounded his illegal work by fraudulently using firstly the Gas Safe Register logo on his paperwork and then the details of a properly registered gas engineer on a commissioning certificate that he issued in a clear attempt to deceive the homeowners.

“If gas appliances, such as ovens, cookers and boilers, are not properly installed there is a risk of fire, explosion and carbon monoxide poisoning.”

Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments