SHP Awards celebrate the achievements of the brightest and most passionate health & safety professionals. From young, up and coming rising stars and leaders of tomorrow, to our most seasoned, influential ambassadors, and trailblazers making a positive impact in safety, health and wellbeing.
The awards take place annually and are are free to enter, with nominations reviewed by an independent panel of judges. Winners are announced online and receive various prizes, including coaching and development opportunities. For 2021, the SHP Awards are in collaboration with Shirley Parsons, global HSEQ talent experts.
Entries are now closed for 2021. Finalists will be confirmed later this month, with the winners being announced in December.
The 2021 line-up consists of seven awards, namely:
- Most Influential Individual
- Rising Star UK
- Rising Star in Construction
- Rising Star in Manufacturing
- Rising Star International
- Trailblazer in Workplace Wellbeing
- Trailblazer in Health & Safety
Click here for a helpful guide to entering the SHP Awards.
SHP Rising Star Awards
Launched by SHP in 2015, Rising Stars commends young health & safety professionals showing drive and determination in the early stages of their careers. The awards have always been open to anyone under the age of 30. Over the years SHP has proudly followed the continued success of the Rising Stars winners & finalists, featuring many of them in ongoing articles and interviews. In 2021 there will be four awards, Rising Star UK, Rising Star in Construction, Rising Star in Manufacturing and Rising Star International (which is returning this year).
Learn more about the SHP Rising Star Awards here, including the list of all previous winners.
SHP Most Influential Award
Launched by SHP in 2017, Most Influential celebrates those who have had the biggest impact on health & safety, not just within their own organisation but within the wider profession or society. Applications are open to all, and while a judging panel is involved in shortlisting, the final say is determined by public vote.
Learn more about the SHP Most Influential Awards here, including winners of the 2020’s Most Influential Individual and Most Influential Team.
SHP Trailblazer Awards
Launched by SHP in 2020, the Trailblazers are health & safety professionals who are going above and beyond to make a positive difference – in some cases within their own organisation, in other cases more widely in the community. Applications are open to everyone working in the UK, of all age groups and levels of seniority. In 2021 there are two awards, to recognise Trailblazers in Health & Safety and in Workplace Wellbeing
Learn more about the SHP Trailblazer Awards here, including 2020’s winners.
Safety & Health Podcast
Hear from SHP’s three Rising Star winners as they talk to SHP about some of their interesting and innovative safety ideas and how they implemented them in their businesses.
Subscribe and tune in the Safety & Health Podcast to discover the latest issues facing the health and safety profession, and stay on-top of the developments affecting your role, from working at height, lone working and common workplace hazards, to safety culture, behaviours, occupational health and mental health and wellbeing.
Meet the SHP Awards Judges
The judges for 2021 are made up of a mix of people from across multiple sectors and include previous SHP Award winners:
- Louise Adamson, Workplace Safety Speaker, Michael’s Story. 2018 SHP Most Influential winner;
- Andrew Berrie, Mental Health at Work – National Lead, Mind
- Simon Bown, HSQE Director, KeolisAmey Docklands;
- Rachel Butler, Head of Health, Safety and Risk, Bruntwood. 2019 SHP Rising Star finalist;
- David Cant, CFIOSH, Director, Veritas Consulting;
- Dr Dominic Cooper, CEO, B-Safe Management Solutions;
- Lucilla Cummings, HSE Improvement Specialist, Travis Perkins PLC. 2020 Rising Star UK winner;
- Helen Davitt, Global H&S Lead, Barclays;
- Aoife Devaney, H&S Advisor, St George PLC. 2019 Rising Star finalist;
- Chris Edwards, Group Director, Informa Markets;
- Tim Fowler, Senior HSE Consultant, Shirley Parsons Project Services;
- Ruth Gallacher, Head of Global Health, Safety & Environment, A.P. Moller – Maersk;
- Kevin Gilroy, Group EHS Manager, Emtelle;
- John Green, Vice President Global HSE, SNC-Lavalin. 2017 SHP Most Influential winner;
- Ian Hart, Editor, SHP;
- Robert Jukes, Health, Safety, Environment and Quality Manager, Northwood Hygiene Products Ltd. 2019 SHP Rising Star UK winner and 2019 SHP Rising Star Manufacturing winner;
- Anna Keen, Founding Director, Acre Frameworks;
- John Kersey, Health & Safety Manager – People & Culture, ISS;
- Faye McGuiness, Director of Programmes, Education Support.
- Jyssica Murphy, Divisional Health, Safety & Environmental Manager for Redrow Homes. 2018 Rising Star UK winner;
- Hilda Palmer, Safety campaigner, Hazards Campaign. 2020 SHP Most Influential winner;
- Shona Paterson, Director of Talent Consultancy at Shirley Parsons;
- James Pomeroy, Director | Global Health and Safety Leader at Arup;
- Jimmy Quinn, Senior Health and Safety Manager, Multiplex. IOSH Immediate Past President;
- Professor Dr Andrew Sharman, Managing Partner, RMS. Former IOSH President;
- Malcolm Staves, Corporate Health & Safety Director, L’Oreal;
- Jamie Sutherland-Pownall, HSEP Head, UK Ministry of Defence. 2017 SHP Rising Star UK winner;
- Liam Tiddy, Head of Executive Search, Shirley Parsons;
- Sam Watts, EHS Specialist, Pepsico. 2020 SHP Rising Star in Manufacturing.
SHP has collaborated with HSEQ talent experts, Shirley Parsons, on these awards for 2021.
Commenting on the awards, Shirley Parsons CMIOSH, Founder & CEO said: “Our profession continuously strives to make the world a healthier, safer and more sustainable place. We know there are so many fantastic initiatives, ideas and achievements out there, all driven by some truly talented individuals – we’re thrilled to be working with SHP to recognise and celebrate the best of these.”
Coinciding with this year’s SHP Awards, is the launch of Shirley Parsons’ new HSEQ talent tool. RoTI is a unique tool that enables employers to benchmark the “best in class” talent within HSEQ. RoTI helps employers structure career paths for current and new HSEQ employees to reach their full potential, maximising the organisation’s return on talent investment.
All SHP Award finalists will be offered a bespoke personal RoTI assessment.
Shirley Parsons added: “Personality profiling has been around for many years. Through the RoTI tool, we want to give HSEQ professionals a practical and accurate tool that’s fit for purpose.”
As well as their RoTI tool, Shirley Parsons has launched a projects division, providing consultancy and project support within HSEQ. One of the Consultants for Shirley Parsons Project Services, Tim Fowler, is bringing his expertise this year’s SHP Awards judging panel.
Photos of awards winners
Karl Simons (left) collecting his Most Influential award from SHP and Safety & Heatlh Expo Director Chris Edwards in 2019.
Hilda Palmer with her award for SHP’s Most Influential Individual in 2020
Lucilla Cummings with her award for SHP’s Rising Star UK, in 2020
More photos can be found on each of the awards category pages.
Safety & Health Podcast: Listen now
Exclusive interviews, the very latest news and reports from the health and safety frontline and in-depth examinations of the biggest issues facing the profession today. You'll find all that and more in the Safety & Health Podcast from SHP.
Find us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Google Podcasts, subscribe and join the conversation today.