Two soldiers dead after tank incident
A second soldier has died following an incident involving a tank at a Ministry of Defence base in Pembrokeshire.
The Royal Tank Regiment soldier died on Thursday after he was injured at Castlemartin Range on Wednesday.
Another member of the regiment also died and two more were seriously injured in the incident, which is understood to have involved ammunition.
The MoD, Dyfed-Powys Police and the Health and Safety Executive are investigating.
Minister for Defence, People and Veterans, Tobias Ellwood, announced the second death on Thursday night. He said: “Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time.”
The MOD suspended tank live firing as a precaution following the incident.
Mr Ellwood said: “The safety of our personnel is our absolute priority and a full investigation is under way to understand the details of this tragic incident.”
Free download: the Accident Investigation Guide
In partnership with Southalls this guide is designed to help guide you through the accident investigation process from start to finish. Whether you have years of experience in accident investigation, or you have never experienced the process before, this guide outlines the most fundamental parts of the investigation process, and encourages you to ask questions that you may not have previously considered.
Click here to Download now