Industry professionals discuss the importance of managing the risk related to Musculoskeletal disorders (MSD), and why businesses should utilise HSE’s online tools to ensure these assessments are carried out effectively, in SHP’s Webinar Wednesdays series.
In this session, which is now available to watch on-demand, Matt Birtles, Principal Ergonomics Consultant at HSE’s Science and Research Centre, Hollie Stocks, Sales Manager at HSE, and Carl Whitman, Marketing Manager at TSO, discussed how companies can best manage the risks relating to Musculoskeletal disorders, using the HSE’s online assessment tool.
Matt Birtles began the discussion by highlighting the financial risk posed to businesses who don’t tackle the issue head on.
Financial considerations include (2019/20):
- MSDs were a significant cause of health-related absence – 30% of all work-related ill health and 27% of lost days;
- 9 million working days were lost in 2019/20 due to MSD;
- 11 days off per back pain incident and 21 days off for ULD’s;
- Average employer cost per <7-day health issue was £9k.
Businesses are therefore encouraged to ask themselves the question, ‘how much money could I save by reducing the risk of injury?’
An effective approach to MSD management according to the HSE:
- Identify high risk jobs – sit down with your workforce and listen to their concerns over which jobs they consider pose the highest risk to their safety;
- Avoid hazardous tasks – Are there certain tasks you can avoid altogether? How can you go about doing this in a cost-effective manner? If avoiding the risk isn’t an option, are there any practices you can put in place to minimise the risk?
- Assess hazardous tasks – A key consideration for practitioners, assess the task, what specific health risk does it pose to workers?;
- Reduce the risk – PPE etc;
- Manage the risk – utilise training programmes on how to deal with specific risks, SOP’s, indicators.
Why use HSE’s MAC tool?
Holly, went on to demonstrate how professionals can utilise the HSE’s MAC digital tool to log assessments and receive access to various publications on specific guidance.
Want to know how your organisation could benefit from downloading HSE’s MAC tool to manage the risks relating to MDS and how to go about using it? Watch the rest of the webinar, and others in the series, on-demand by filling out the form opposite…
Hear from the Health and Safety Executive and partners about musculoskeletal disorders and how you can best manage the risks. We will cover the risk management process and demonstrate the new HSE digital assessments tools for MAC, ART and RAPP. You will learn:
- Why MSDs are important;
- The Risk Management process;
- How to use the new digital assessment tools.