Gas Safety (Onshore): Employee Factsheet
Working with gas, or on something that could release gas or affect the ventilation of a gas appliance or ignite gas, is high risk. Risk assessment, control measures and the use of competent people is essential.
It is an offence to work on a gas appliance or a gas fitting unless you are trained and competent to do so. Those working on gas equipment, other than industrial process plant, are required by law to be Gas Safe registered.
Gas risks include:
- Gas leaks, which may be caused by faulty gas appliances and pipework. Un-burnt natural gas and LPG are not poisonous in the same way that carbon monoxide is but both can lead to fires and explosions. To aid detection of a leak an odorant is added to gas which makes it easy to smell.
- Fires and explosions as gas is highly flammable. If gas leaks from a faulty appliance or pipework it can spread quickly. There is then a risk of it accidentally igniting – causing a fire or explosion.
- Carbon monoxide (CO) can leak from badly fitted or poorly maintained gas appliances. It is a highly toxic gas and extremely dangerous as you cannot see it, taste it or smell it but it can kill quickly and with no warning. It can also cause serious long-term health problems such as brain damage.
This employee factsheet from Barbour EHS includes:
- What to do in an emergency;
- Gas controls;
- Information for tenants.
Fill out the form to download Barbour’s free guide and find out more.