Poundstretcher owner to face jury following breaches
The boss of discount store Poundstretcher, where a number of health and safety offences were committed is to face trial by judge and jury, it has been reported.
60-year-old Abdul Aziz Tayub, owner of the chain of Poundstretcher shops, pleaded not guilty to ten charges when he appeared at Swindon Crown Court earlier this month. He will stand trial in the autumn, after which the firm itself will be sentenced having pleaded guilty to 16 charges brought by Swindon Borough Council under a number of health and safety at work regulations.
It is alleged that the company did so with Mr Tayub’s ‘consent, connivance, or neglect’.
All of the alleged offences are said to relate to the Poundstretcher store in St Margaret’s Retail Park on Oxford Road over a number of days during October and November 2014.
Judge Peter Blair QC adjourned the case to Monday October 31 and released Mr Tayub on bail until then.
Poundstretcher Ltd pleaded guilty to 16 charges brought by Swindon Borough Council under a number of health and safety at work regulations. The company admitted failing ensure the health, safety and welfare of staff at the premises.
It also pleaded guilty to offences under Work at Heights regulations, Personal Protective Equipment at Work regulations, Control of Substances Hazardous to Health regulations, and Reporting of Injuries, Diseases or Dangerous Occurrences.
The judge said he would adjourn passing sentence on the firm until after the trial of Mr Tayub has concluded.
Safety & Health Podcast: Listen now
Exclusive interviews, the very latest news and reports from the health and safety frontline and in-depth examinations of the biggest issues facing the profession today. You'll find all that and more in the Safety & Health Podcast from SHP.
Find us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Google Podcasts, subscribe and join the conversation today.