Author Bio ▼

Safety and Health Practitioner (SHP) is first for independent health and safety news.
August 17, 2012

Get the SHP newsletter

Daily health and safety news, job alerts and resources

Landlord’s gas-boiler neglect put family in danger

A landlord has received a suspended prison sentence after a family suffered carbon-monoxide poisoning at a flat in Lewisham, South London.

Gail Calvert, her partner Stephen Clayden, and her eight-year-old daughter inhaled large quantities of the potentially lethal gas inside the ground-floor flat they rented in Iona Close, Catford.€

Introducing the all-new Safety & Health Podcast

Exclusive interviews, the very latest news and reports from the health and safety frontline and in-depth examinations of the biggest issues facing the profession today: you'll find all that and more in the brand-new Safety & Health Podcast from SHP.

Find us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Google Podcasts today.

Safety & Health Podcast

Related Topics

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
2 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Alexhoward_121
Alexhoward_121
8 years ago

Yea,yea, yea, a new boiler had been fitted no previous etc, etc – the usual story to reduce the fine/sentence, but well done whomever it was that decided that the punishment should fit the crime and told the magistrates what sentence to pass.
Oh! and what kind of personal tragedy must it be for someone to be told that just because the boiler hadn’t been serviced, their loved ones were killed by CO poisoning, ?

Filberton
Filberton
8 years ago

More than two years overdue…that is some tragedy. (sorry!). As there is a legal requirement for an annual check, which most landlords are not allowed to do themselves, and likley that he has more than one property one might expect a framework service contract with a GasSafe company. So how many other properties have gone unchecked I wonder.