Informa Markets

Author Bio ▼

Safety and Health Practitioner (SHP) is first for independent health and safety news.
July 1, 2011

Get the SHP newsletter

Daily health and safety news, job alerts and resources

Housing association failed to properly maintain pensioner’s fire

A pensioner died in his home from carbon-monoxide poisoning caused by a faulty solid-fuel fire, which had not been properly maintained by his housing association.

George Rutherford, 80, was found dead at his home in Penshaw, Sunderland on 18 June 2007. He rented the property from Gentoo Group Ltd, which provides social housing in Sunderland.

An HSE investigation found the property had a coal fire, which had not been properly maintained and was emitting carbon monoxide. The fire had a throat plate, which directs flames towards the front of the fire to keep the stove hot. But this causes a build up of soot in the stove, which can prevent gas from getting up the flue and being released up the chimney. €

Safety & Health Podcast: Listen now

Exclusive interviews, the very latest news and reports from the health and safety frontline and in-depth examinations of the biggest issues facing the profession today. You'll find all that and more in the Safety & Health Podcast from SHP.

Find us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Google Podcasts, subscribe and join the conversation today.

Safety & Health Podcast

Related Topics

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Topics: