Fingers amputated after machine entanglement
An engineering company has been fined after an employee’s little finger and ring finger were amputated at the first knuckle.
Birmingham Magistrates’ Court was told that on 29 January 2018 the employee was working at a site on Holford Way in Birmingham when his gloved hand came into contact with a rotating spindle on a Slack and Par horizontal quick tapping machine and became entangled.
The HSE found that Rical Ltd trading as Avon PDC failed to ensure that effective measures were taken to prevent access to the dangerous parts, namely the rotating spindles, of the machine.
Rical Limited, trading as Avon PDC of Holford Way, Witton, Birmingham pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 11(1) of The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 and was been fined £14,000 with costs of £1,383.88.
Speaking after the hearing HSE Inspector Karen Sweeney said: “This injury was easily preventable and the risk should have been identified. Employers should make sure they properly assess and apply effective control measures to minimise the risk from dangerous parts of machinery.”
Stay Ahead of the Curve in Operational Excellence Theatre
Focusing on the more technical elements of the profession, this theatre at Safety & Health Expo 2019 will include:
- Asbestos competency in the 21st century
- Does ISO 45001 support a strong safety culture?
- Breathe Freely: A campaign to reduce respiratory lung disease in construction
- Procurement: The changing face of health and safety - from policing to leaving a legacy
- Effective investigation implementation
The full agenda is designed to inform, illuminate and provoke conversation and debate as the profession powers forward. Get your free ticket to Safety & Health Expo | ExCeL London | 18 - 20 June