October 23, 2017

Get the SHP newsletter

Daily health and safety news, job alerts and resources

HSE warning following carbon monoxide failings

Two construction companies have been fined when a project to remove cowls to redundant flue pipes resulted in carbon monoxide (CO) entering a property.

It is the responsibility of both the principal contractor and subcontractor to ensure that safe systems of work have been identified and adopted – HSE

Failings

Cambridge Crown Court was told that on 19 December 2014, a mistake regarding the correct floor level resulted in a live flue being blocked. Scaffolding was erected outside a 13-storey block of flats without marked lift levels and the external wall of the building had no markings to identify floor levels or flat numbers. Operatives from R J Fitters were given a diagram marked with the redundant flues and were expected to find the redundant flues amongst live flues.

The problem was identified only when a CO monitor activated and the homeowner and her son investigated. The damaged boiler was switched off before potentially any serious ill-health could occur.


More cases like this:

Engineer fined after Carbon Monoxide leaks

Builder fined for gas flue failure


An investigation by the HSE into the incident found that Wates Construction Ltd and R J Fitters Ltd failed to manage the risk involved with the project. The investigation found that they could have marked the levels on the scaffold and the levels/flat numbers on the external wall of the building. A supervisor could have marked the redundant flue pipes to ensure the correct cowls were removed and flue pipes blocked up. The companies could have instead of blocking the redundant flue pipes put a cage around the cowls to ensure they did not fall.

Sentencing

Wates Construction Ltd pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and were fined £640,000 with costs of £20,862.52.

R J Fitters Ltd pleaded guilty breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and were fined £30,000 and ordered to pay costs of £10,431.28

HSE inspector Sandra Dias commented after the hearing: “It is the responsibility of both the principal contractor and subcontractor to ensure that safe systems of work have been identified and adopted.  When there is risk of death to members of the public, the safe systems should be well thought through and robust.  The risks associated with blocking a live flue could result in carbon monoxide entering properties and potentially killing all occupants.”

Introducing the all-new Safety & Health Podcast

Exclusive interviews, the very latest news and reports from the health and safety frontline and in-depth examinations of the biggest issues facing the profession today: you'll find all that and more in the brand-new Safety & Health Podcast from SHP.

Find us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Google Podcasts today.

Safety & Health Podcast

Related Topics

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments