Worker died after fall from roof
A company has been fined after an employee died after falling through a skylight.
Leicester Crown Court heard how the deceased was working with another employee on the roof, re-siting a heater and new chimney flue, when the incident occurred on 31 October 2014.
He suffered severe injuries and died from these injuries approximately six months later.
The Health and Safety Executive found that the work at height on a fragile roof was not appropriately planned, supervised or carried out in a safe manner.
IKO-Design Ltd of Parker Drive, Leicester pleaded guilty of breaching Regulation 4 and Regulation 9(2) of the Work at Height Regulations 2005. The firm was fined £100,000 and ordered to pay costs of £35,000.
Speaking after the hearing HSE inspector Michelle Morrison said: “A well planned job would have identified the risks from working on a fragile roof, so that steps could have been taken to prevent the risk of anyone falling from height. This tragic incident was entirely avoidable if appropriate controls had been put in place.
“Proper precautions should be taken when working on roofs and near fragile skylights, even for short duration work. Companies should be aware that HSE will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those that fall below the required standards.”
According to HSE, skin disorders affect 40% of workers at some point in their career. Occupational skin disorders (OSDs) are amongst the most significant health and safety issues facing industry leaders across the world. This whitepaper from Deb puts occupational skin disorders in the spotlight to offer guidance on how employers can take control through a preventative skin care programme.
Discover how you can take control here.