Second fatal incident in two years sees MP call for bouncy castle ban in public areas
A three-year-old girl was killed when she was thrown from a bouncy castle on Gorleston beach on Sunday 1 July.
Eyewitnesses say that the inflatable exploded and the child was thrown into the air. She later dies in hospital from her injuries.
The incident follows a similar tragedy in Harlow in 2016 when a seven-year-old girl was killed after the bouncy castle she was playing on was caught by a gust of wind and overturned.
The two fairground workers who were responsible for the Harlow tragedy were jailed last month for manslaughter by gross negligence.
As a result of these two incidents, Harlow MP Robert Halfon has said an ‘urgent investigation’ is needed into the regulation of the inflatables.
He said in a that: “There should be a temporary ban on bouncy castles in public areas until we can ensure they are safe.
“These are two tragic deaths of two beautiful little children in the space of a few years and there needs to be an urgent investigation in the regulation and inspection regimes.
“You cannot risk a tragedy like this happening again.”
What are the rules on bouncy castle safety? Click here.
Catch up on your summer fix of health and safety content
Missed the health and safety webinar, or want to listen again? Dive into Digital Week once again to explore the 'State of the health and safety profession, sourcing PPE in the age of COVID-19' webinar on-demand alongside IOSH President Andrew Sharman, SHP editor Ian Hart and their guests.
Listen for free today.