Changes to the CITB HS&E test
The Health, Safety and Environment test for the United Kingdom construction industry is being updated on 26 June 2019.
The Health, Safety and Environment (HS&E) test helps to raise the health, safety and environment standards for those working in the construction industry – giving employers the assurance that thier workforce, and those they work alongside are well prepared to be safe on the job. It’s simply about protecting people.
The updates CITB is making on the 26 June 2019 are the result of two and half years working with industry and experts in other fields to ensure that the HS&E test continues to be fair, valid and reliable.
What is changing?
- Update to include current practice and legislation – All versions have been reviewed and, where applicable, updated with the latest legislation.
- Levelling of the playing field – Everyone taking the revised Operatives test will see the same amount of easy, medium and hard questions, in a random combination.
- One score to pass – There is now only one section of questioning. The behavioural case studies and accompanying questions have been removed.
- New questions and new style – There are now a wider range of health, safety and environment tasks and responsibilities covered in the questions. A new ‘drag and drop’ questioning style has also been added.
- Clearer instructions – The on-screen tutorials have been improved.
- Materials to revise, not memorise – Revision materials have all been updated alongside the changes to the test.
New updated revision materials will be available for purchase from 15 May 2019 to aid those taking the test after the 26 June 2019.
CITB’s delivery of the test ensures that the safety of the British construction workforce is at the heart of what it does. Its close links with industry means that as the construction industry evolves; the HS&E test is evolving too.
Karl Simons, Chief Health, Safety & Security Officer at Thames Water, said: “As a major client employing many thousands of construction workers every day, it is vitally important all have a solid foundation in understanding of the Health, Safety & Environmental risks they may face in the dynamic construction environment. The new changes made to the CITB HS&E test continue support this approach.”
To find out more about the changes, click here.
Stay Ahead of the Curve in Operational Excellence Theatre
Focusing on the more technical elements of the profession, this theatre at Safety & Health Expo 2019 will include:
- Asbestos competency in the 21st century
- Does ISO 45001 support a strong safety culture?
- Breathe Freely: A campaign to reduce respiratory lung disease in construction
- Procurement: The changing face of health and safety - from policing to leaving a legacy
- Effective investigation implementation
The full agenda is designed to inform, illuminate and provoke conversation and debate as the profession powers forward. Get your free ticket to Safety & Health Expo | ExCeL London | 18 - 20 June