Two dead after suspected gas leak at poultry firm
An investigation is underway after two men were found dead in the early hours of Thursday at Banham Poultry in Norfolk, as a result of a suspected gas leak.
Police officers were called to the scene shortly after 1am this on Thursday morning (4 October), where they found the deceased.
The two men were pest control subcontractors, aged in their 30s and 40s, and were found close to the factory. No one else was hurt.
It is believed that a potential refrigeration gas leak near where the men were working could be a possible cause of death. There is said to be no wider threat to the public.
Detective Chief Inspector Stu Chapman said: “On behalf of Norfolk Police and other emergency services, I offer my condolences to the friends and families of the men killed in this incident and our thoughts are with them at this difficult time.
Norfolk Fire Service confirmed that appliances from Attleborough, Wymondham, Carrow and environmental protection units from Sprowston and Kings Lynn North attended the incident to assist the Police and Ambulance.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is continuing to work with emergency service to understand the circumstances which lead to the men’s deaths.
Crews wore breathing apparatus and used gas monitors to make the area safe.
A police cordon remained in place for most of the day, affecting the nearby Attleborough railway station.
Earlier this week, Banham Poultry, one of Norfolk’s largest employers, was put up for sale.
Pedestrian killed by sheet of falling glass from London development
According to HSE, skin disorders affect 40% of workers at some point in their career. Occupational skin disorders (OSDs) are amongst the most significant health and safety issues facing industry leaders across the world. This whitepaper from Deb puts occupational skin disorders in the spotlight to offer guidance on how employers can take control through a preventative skin care programme.
Discover how you can take control here.