Man dies at waste facility near Disney after falling into vat of oil
Worker was emptying oil and grease from a tractor-trailer when he slipped and fell.
A 61-year-old employee of a clean energy firm has died after slipping and falling into a container of oil. The incident happened near Walt Disney World in Florida.
Local news outlets reported that the facility is part of a district created to provide municipal services to the Disney theme park.
The man reportedly become overcome by fumes and slipped further into the oil, making it impossible for him to be rescued.
His body was recovered by the Reedy Creek Fire Department and the man has not yet been named.
A full investigation has been launched into what has been described as a ‘tragic accident’.
The man worked for Harvest Power, a Massachusetts-based company that converts food waste and yard waste into biofuel, compost, mulch and fertilizer.
A Harvest Power spokeswoman said: “We’re all deeply saddened by the loss of this co-worker. We are in shock and grief, figuring out what happened.
“We co-ordinated a pause in all operations for a moment of silence, and a reflection on the need for safety in our operations.”
Last month, SHP reported that waste disposal has the highest fatality at work rate of any industrial sector.
SHP’s latest legislation eBook covers recognition of mental health issues in the workplace, the reclassification of mild welding fume as a human carcinogen, new manslaughter definitive guidelines, PPE, Brexit, drone safety regulations and much more…
- Recognition of Mental Health Issues in the Workplace
- Reclassification of Mild Welding Fume as a Human Carcinogen
- Sentencing Council Published New Manslaughter Definitive Guidelines
- Larger firms face biggest fine increases: Sentencing Council impact assessment shows
- Bouncy Castles and Other Play Inflatables: Safety Advice
- Revision of Standards for Powered Doors, Gates and Barriers
- Modern Slavery Act Review
- Drone Safety Regulations
- Health and Safety (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations 2018
- Ionising Radiation
- Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (Diving) Regulations 2018 (Ireland)
- Environment and Energy
- and much more…